Monday, July 11, 2016

Week 55

Just trying to contact a reindeer

I would say it was a way solid week. It was the first week of the transfer but because Elder Hadley and I are still together things just went together as planned. Kind of nice when you have a rhythm and everything just is smooth sailing (obviously not totally but to us it is.) On a mission, at least, you learn a lot about how other people can choose to do what they want. I'm not saying I'm frustrated when people don't choose what I want them to but I'm saying you have to be ready for anything because at any point in time they can say/do anything. 

It was so weird/cool but I got to see Amanda Koch at church. I totally knew it was her and then when she came up to me I was like "oh, it's totally a Koch!" 

So this last Monday we went on a hike despite the downpour of rain and stuff (that all becomes besides the point after you live here for a while) and we went up and down and that was that. There were some bugs on the hike but we didn't think much of them. Then the next couple of days we were itching like crazy, the sisters too. And we were so puzzled at what it could be, spiders or what. And then we got a call from the sister, "uhh Elder Hoopes, what do you know about bug bites?" Bug bites?  So then we realized we had bites everywhere. Not exaggerating and so we were freaking out and decided to circle all our bites to see if we got more. There were lots of circles. But we didn't get anymore and now we just have a bunch of scabs from scratching all the bug bites off.

A lot has changed since I've been gone. Things are changing back at home, and I don't really know too much how I feel about it. I love that everyone is moving on with their lives. I used to feel like I wasn't changing that much and wouldn't in the two years, just be two years older. But now I have realized, I like who I am here. Even though I'm a little weird (the habits of missionaries) but my personality and the way I view the world is going to be way different than I was. Don't worry, I'm still Hoopes, but I look at things different. I have lived in a foreign country. I do something no normal person does. But I love it. I love it so much. I love it and sometimes I just sit on the light rail and I start smiling and I feel like an idiot and I start talking to some random person next to me and she turns out to be an author of a book that she gives me the author's scoop for. That doesn't happen unless you're on a mission. Maybe it does, but it's not the same. I used to think I would come back and it would just be the same. But I won't. And I'm completely okay with that :)

We have been doing some painting for service. We have helped paint for the family we live under, who are basically the sweetest kindest most caring family ever. So now we are professional painters :)

Well, that's all I got for this week. Have a great week!

Fun running into Amanda at church in Bergen


No comments:

Post a Comment