Monday, May 30, 2016

Week 49

Saying goodbye to Elder Messer

The week was actually pretty good. Elder Hadley got here on Wednesday and we have been busy ever since. We have had appointment after appointment so we have been having a great time. One thing that has stood out to me recently is how much I just love Bergen. It is the best. I love Bergen and the ward more than just about anything. 

We have been going to a lot of appointments, member and investigator alike. It has been pretty sunny so walking around isn't too bad even though it's kind of weird just walking around in a white shirt instead of with a jacket and/or sweater on. A lot more dirty looks, but it doesn't even matter. Kind of weird that it's May and I think I have had a total of 6 days without a sweater or jacket. So, here a year and only six days of no jacket/sweater. Don't get me wrong though, I love Norway.

I think for p-day today we are going to go to the city and then get some of the best ice cream on the face of the earth.

At church, I understand Norwegian quite well now and it is just frustrating because when I hear myself talk I can hear the mistakes that I make and it drives me insane!

Staying after church to chat is the best. That's where you get cozy with the ward and learn who they really are and they can learn to like you. If you make them remember your name and face and who you are then you truly have built relationships and that's what it's all about.

There is only one ward, so sometimes we do have events but the thing is I am pretty sure that the Bergen ward has one of the largest ward boundaries in the whole world. Before it became a ward a few years ago it was the largest branch boundary. So it can be hard for people to make it out to everything. The farthest active member lives about 70 kilometers away, so yeah it's far. We did have a talent night on Friday, though, and of course the missionaries were supposed to do something. So last minute I decided that I would freestyle...in Norwegian. So I came with a couple lines and winged it. Here is the rap in Norwegian and the translation below that, it doesn't quite rhyme but you'll get the idea:

NORWEGIAN
Hei, jeg heter eldste hoopes
og så skal jeg prøve å rhyme med hoopes
oops, ingenting går vet du
ikke do, de er forskjellige ting
liksom disse måkene som bæsjer på mitt
hodet og håret, lit æsj du forstår det
jeg kanke norske men du trodde
og så står jeg her og dumer meg ut
og så skal vi komme til å slutt
snart, fart, og så sier jeg bart
fordi det er morsomt også lit rart
menigheten er fin, hvitt skjorte er min
dere vet disse ting, ikke grinn
denne sangen var helt på bån
og så er jeg plutselig ferdig, sån !

TRANSLATION
hi my name is elder hoopes
and im going to try to rhyme with hoopes
oops, nothing goes yano
not bathroom, those are different things
like these seagulls that poop on my
head and hair and its gross you understand
i cant speak norwegian but you believed it
and i am here embarrassing myself
and and we are going to be done
soon, fast, and i also say mustache
because its funny and a little weird
the ward is cool, white shirt is mine
you guys know this stuff, dont cry
this song totally sucked
and now im suddenly done, boom

Doesn't really make sense but people seemed to get a kick out of it and I was kind of proud of it.

Have a great week! I took some pics of some Norwegian funnies.

J

Norwegian funny


A family picking up their missionary that just got released came and took the elders to lunch





No comments:

Post a Comment