Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 45



First - call to everyone who reads the blog, please send me a recent pic of yourself or you and a friend asap. Pictures are sooooo fantastic!

There's a thing called Russ where Norwegians who are graduating in three weeks go as hard as they can before finals and do a bunch of teenage stuff probably not all legal. They wear red jump suits and have little trading cards. It's hard to describe, you just might have to come to Norway to see it.

We met with a lot of members this week and were able to share a bunch of spiritual thoughts. I have a favorite one at the moment but I'm keeping it to myself because people might read it and it will blow the secret. Let's just say it has to do with faith. It's a fun activity for families. 

We go to Stavanger this week for zone conference!!! Excited to see the zone leaders (my past companions) Woo!

So the one food I miss the most is good fast food. We don't have too much of it and it's so expensive that it's not even worth it. In the US you can go to McDonald's if you have a little money and need a bunch of food. Here McDonald's is bank and it's a treat.

But Norway has kebabs - they are sooo good! It's pita dough with meat and vegetables and bunch of sauce in the middle and all good stuff. Rumor has it that Norway has the best kebabs in Europe. 

The hardest part about the Norwegian language is the prepositions. They make no english translation sense and you just have to learn every one. 

My favorite thing about the Norwegian culture is how they are all about families. Women get 49 weeks off and 100% salary for maternity leave and husbands do too. Everything here is for families.

The hardest part about the culture is if you talk to a random person they basically think you're going to rob them. But once they get to know you, you have a friend for life.

Something I've learned about myself is that I just want to help people in life. That is what I have come down to. No matter what it is I want to help people. I have learned on my mission that being selfish is the most disgusting thing ever. If you are selfish it is very hard to love. I know I probably sound like a typical missionary, but if people put their pride aside and step to help someone other than themselves this world would be translated tomorrow. I know I haven't been perfect at it but it is something I have tried really hard in the last few months to grow toward. I have had to swallow some pride, and get humbled a ton (ps never ask for humility because look out!) It is hard in places where people have it so good, but try to help someone other than yourselves. 

That's about it. Have a great week!

J

From Mom: We got this random text a couple of days ago - what an awesome surprise!



No comments:

Post a Comment